Teacher in Canada: What you need to know

Posted by David Singh on Feb 4, 2019 11:32:00 AM

Friendly woman teaching a class and smiling

Elementary and secondary teaching professions are regulated in Canada. The regulatory body in each province or territory sets the requirements to practice the profession. Though these requirements vary by jurisdiction, they usually include a bachelor’s degree in education and a provincial teaching certificate. You may find that you need to get your skills upgraded to meet the standards required.


Recommended Posts:


Research is important!


If you intend to specialize in special education or instruction of English or French as a second language, you may be required to take additional training and certification. Unlike elementary and secondary teaching, teaching at university or college-level is not regulated and generally up to the hiring department or institution to recognize your academic credentials obtained outside Canada. University teaching positions are competitive and normally require the possession of at least one graduate degree and a proven record in teaching or academic publishing.

It's easier for you to gather and organize your official education, work and identity documents while still in your home country. Check with your provincial or territorial regulatory body to enquire about the documents you need to bring and about verifying the translation of these documents. You might need to use a professional translation service in Canada.

Understand how your profession is practiced in Canada and familiarize yourself with the laws and legislation that governs your profession in the province where you'll settle.


New call-to-action



Upgrading your skills


In addition to accreditation, upgrading your skills through a bridging program or other courses and workshops is an important part of your journey to become a teacher in Canada.

In order to practice in Canada, you must be licensed by the relevant professional provincial or territorial authority. You’ll be required to complete an accredited program of study, supervised work experience, and an examination in professional ethics. Bridging programs and other skills upgrading courses and workshops help you in obtaining licensure.

You may possess strong technical skills, but often that’s not enough to get a job or maintain it afterwards. You may need more training or skills upgrading, especially regarding your soft skills.



Language Ability

You may be eligible for Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC) program. Otherwise, you can find other free or affordable classes in English as a Second Language (ESL) or French as a Second Language (FSL) classes through the school boards or settlement agencies. There are even language courses to teach you professional terminology, such as Enhanced Language Training (ELT) and Occupation Specific Language Training (OSLT). 

Recent Posts